Monday, August 08, 2005

dental assistant vs mom

No, I didn't get in a fight with the dental assistant :) I used to be a dental assistant. I worked for a general dentist and then a periodontist (deal mostly with people who have really bad gum disease) I have seen my share of dental surgery but I was not prepared for my reaction today when Hope had her little surgery. I stayed in the room to support Hope, I could have left and she would never have know, thanks to the laughing gas:) Anyway, I was on the other side of the room and when the dentist started to numb her up I thought I was going to faint. Even when I looked away I still struggled. I finally went to the bathroom to gather myself together. It actually turned into more than just a little nip. The dentist said she thinks she put in 10 tiny stitches. Poor Hope...she is in quite a bit of pain but she has some good pain meds. I'm such a great mom that all the way home from the store where we got the meds, I kept thinking "please don't throw up in the van" I probably drove a little too fast also. She never did throw up. I thought about it later...I'm so selfish. Maybe that is why God allowed all this to happen to show me once again an area where I need to change and become more like Christ...self-sacrificing

4 comments:

Autumn said...

She also told me she gets to eat milkshakes...and she nicknamed herself "baby birdie" lol! Oh, what I would do for a Sonic stop right now!!!

Dawn said...

Ha! I'm finally here to comment. You should do fruit smoothies for her rather than milkshakes...they're healthier. :-)

1 1/2 cup fruit juice
2/3 cup frozen fruit
1 banana
2 scoops sherbet
1 cup ice

Blend together. Makes 2 tall glasses. The perfect Jamba Juice proportions!

When will she be better?

Autumn said...

I don't think Dawn's fruit smoothie recipe sounds much healthier than a milkshake...way way way lot 'o sugar in there! I guess it is less fat though.

When do you start physical therapy?

Dawn said...

Yes, less fat...not to mention all the good nutrients found in the fruits as opposed to just ice cream and flavoring!